First post


Day 1 of writing on a blog. Notice that I have avoided saying 'blogger' or 'blogging' - I'm not ready for any of that. It is highly likely that I will be the only one to ever read my entries so first and foremost it needs to entertain ME! Or more accurately fulfill its role as my surrogate memory. Needless to say, I am most likely to write on quiet days when nothing is really happening. So a quick precis:

Me now: student of Teaching at the State University of New York and simultaneously, by virtue of online black magic, Development Management at the Open University in Milton Keynes, England. Why black magic? Because once again I have succumbed to that curious ability that the internet has of allowing easy access to difficult things. Marathons, triathlons, masters degrees are all a mouse click away... and then comes the hard work.

Speaking of which, my current past-time when I am not commuting between Potsdam, NY and Ottawa, ON is training for an 800 mile bike ride. And when the average temperature is significantly less than zero degrees Celsius this means grinding away on an exercise bike in a sweaty gym. But guess what? The bikes have TVs! I never watch TV but 1hr 30mins on an exercise bike goes by much quicker when I can watch the Leafs getting spanked by, well anyone, or Chelsea going the distance in Europe.

Today's photos are undoubtedly a premature eulogy to winter fun. These two lovely ladies kept me warm through a frigid night sleeping in a snow cave (you can call it a Quinzee if you like but it won't make it any warmer) and are rewarded for their selflessness with hot chocolate. Thank you Crystal and Deb.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tour du Mont Blanc

An Alpine cycling adventure - Part II

A wild weekend