The first three days of this trip included rather too much driving and not so much leisure time. This was partly because of the weather and partly because of our poor planning. But we were to make amends. From our uninspiring overnight stop in the parking lot in Livorno, we headed north to Pisa to see a leaning tower. We stopped at the Lidl supermarket on the way for a small cultural experience and we bought a Pomelo which is a giant citrus fruit and which was imported from China. After lunch in the van we headed off to the tower. Surprising serenity at tourism central Oh the fun that can be had with a leaning tower and a little perspective... We decided to pay to walk to the top of the tower and I have to say that this was money well spent. The leaning tower of Pisa must be one of the most recognisible images in the world but up close it is peacefully serene, set as it is in a complex that includes the Pisa Cathedral and surrounded by the expansive ...
Feb 5th - Sometimes travelling is hard, and I have moaned a bit about how covid has made everything harder. But sometimes it's just pure fun. Not to say that everything about our day out rafting was plain sailing. To begin with we had to get everyone on board (have you ever noticed how many of our idioms come from nautical activities? Ask me sometime about freezing the balls off a brass monkey...). I enjoyed the water as a kid but I never went white water rafting until I was a fully grown person. I can see how it could be intimidating. We found Natexplora who said they ran kids trips and that was enough to sway the doubters. The fact that we ran the same route as the other six adult-only rafts on our trip was fortunately lost in the joy and thrill of the moment. There is a project to divert water from the Maipo through a hydroelectric tunnel. Apparently, this will reduce the flow of Maipo by 90%. We had heard of this scheme, and we saw these signs, although the ...
My last post was a jumbled mish-mash of dates and events which probably accurately reflects the jumbled mish-mash of a brain that has been through two-and-a-half weeks of isolation, illness, bed swapping, plan changing, caring for sick kids, and I'm too tired to remember what else. Crystal and Felicity and Sarah tested positive on the 23rd and finally Toby a few days later. Once we had rescheduled (again) our flight to Australia for June 4th we knew we had a clear week after everyone except Toby would be “released”. We decided to let our hosts have their lives back and found an Airbnb by the sea in Paekakariki, 45 minutes up the coast. A rare break in the rain to enjoy the view from the deck I’ve heard several people say that COVID is not to be messed with but I’ve also heard that it can be a mild illness, especially if you’re fully vaccinated. After a few days of cold like symptoms and then a couple of nights of fever I thought I was done. When Sarah and Crystal went down w...
Comments